AFM® Activated (Glass) Filter Media Vessels
What is AFM®?
AFM® Activated Filter Media is a direct replacement for sand, doubling the performance of sand filters without the need for additional investments in infrastructure. AFM® resists biofouling, bio coagulation and transient wormhole channeling of unfiltered water and never needs to be recharged or replaced.
AFM® is a highly engineered product manufactured from a specific glass type, processed to obtain the optimum particle size and shape. It is then exposed to a 3-step activation process to increase its surface area by up to 300 times for superior mechanical and electro-static filtration performance.
AFM Glass Media Vessel is used to capture sediment, dirt, rust and other particles from water.
The Glass media will filter the water down to around 3 microns (same as most "throw away" cartridges).
The glass media is reusable and can be backwashed to remove the particles captured inside.
AFM® benefits at a glance
- ... more than doubles the performance of an existing filtration system
- ... is not subject to biodynamic instability and will never allow untreated water to pass
- ... substantially lowers chlorine oxidation demand
- ... lowers backwash water demand by an average of 50%
- ... is expected to last for the life of the filtration system
- ... provides a quick return on investment
What makes AFM® so effective?
1. Clean, carefully selected glass
AFM® is only made from pure green and brown glass which have the necessary metal oxides to help
make AFM® self-sterilizing.
2. Ideal hydraulic properties
The raw material is ground into the optimal grain size and shape that is crucial for the outstanding hydraulic characteristics of AFM®. No dangerous glass splinters are allowed to be present in the filter material. Our manufacturing process is ISO certified.
3. Activation process
The AFM® activation process creates a mesoporous structure with a huge catalytic surface area. Sand has a surface area of 3,000 m2 per m3 but AFM® has a surface area up to 300 times greater for adsorption and catalytic reactions. Hydroxyl groups on the surface give AFM® a strong negative charge, known as the zeta potential, that attracts heavy metals and organic molecules. In the presence of small amounts of oxygen or oxidizing agents, the catalytic surface generates free radicals that make AFM® self-sterilizing.
The AFM® Glass media has several advantages over the normal silica sand used to remove particles and dirt:
- The AFM Glass Media has a life span of up to 20 years before the media needs to be replaced. Whereas silica sand only typically last 1 to 5 years before needing replacement, depending on the source water quality.
- Where silica sand and other types of cleanable/reusable filter systems typically filter water to around a maximum of 20 microns, AFM Glass media filters the water down to around 3 microns (Glass media 0.5 to 1mm).
- The AFM Glass Media is Negatively charged to help absorb some organic molecules from water.
- The AFM Glass media has a metal oxide catalysts, which helps to inhibit the growth of bacteria on the media and so increases the life span of the media.
- The Standard Glass Media Vessels, are 50, 75, and 100 Litre size vessels. Please note larger vessels are available for larger flow rate requirements, please contact us to get prices.
AFM Glass Media Grades
Glass Media Vessel Normal Operation and Backwashing.
During Normal, operation water flows into the top of the vessel and travels all the way to the bottom of the vessel. As the water flows down through the vessel, all the particles, rust, dirt, mud, and other sediment is captured between the glass media granules. The water then enters the bottom strainer, flows up the riser pipe, and out the top of the vessel.
Valve Head Options
Manual Valve Head
- Does not require any power.
- Backwashing must be done manually.
- Requires an electrical source to operate (normal 2 pin or 3 pin plug)
- Can be set to automatically backwash the vessel, with either fleck or digital time.
- Please note the Automatic valve will either be a fleck or digital valve, depending on stock availability. A manual for programming the valve head will be provided with the unit.
Base ( Bottom) Media
The 75L and 100L AFM® Activated Media Vessels use a Coarse Media (1 - 2mm) to hold the finer AFM® Media in place. Also when the first backwashing takes place, the finer AFM® media mixes between the coarser media's granule forming a uniformed media size across the entire bed of AFM® media. This gives you a better level of filtration, removing more sediment and dirt from the water.
There are two options for the coarse base media either AFM® Grade 2 Media or Crystal Sand Filtration Media. Both media have a similar granular size of 1 to 2mm, and so will give the same level of micron filtration. The Crystal Sand media is a cheaper option than the AFM® Grade 2 Media
However, keep in mind that the main difference is that the Crystal sand media is not "activated" like the AFM® Glass Media, and so this will reduce the effectiveness of the vessel to remove chlorine and some heavy metals from the water.